Sunday, July 4, 2010

Peach, Apricot, and Cherry Pie


There has been so many fresh fruits everywhere I go and each time I see these juicy summer fruits a different recipe pops into my head. Since I got the Martha stewart baking book in Christmas I have wanted to try this recipe. It uses some of my favorite summer fruit and I’m not much of a pie person and I wanted to get past that fear. So I set out to make this for a BBQ we had when my Aunt was visiting from Hawaii. She was one of my first followers on here so she knows how much I love to bake so I went all out for her BBQ. This was very good but it bothered me that it was so liquidy, next time I might try more cornstarch to try and have it be not so runny. Other then that the crust it fantastic and you can’t go wrong with fresh fruit.

Pate Brisee
2 ½ C A.P. flour
1 Tsp. salt
2 sticks(1 cup) unsalted butter, cold, and cut into cubes
¼ C ice water
In the bowl of a food processer pulse flour and salt. Add the butter and pulse until coarse crumble. Slowly add water and pulse until it barely comes together. Clump together and wrap in plastic wrap and put in the refridgrator.
Filling
1 # fresh, ripe peaches pitted and sliced into ¼ inch cubes
1 # fresh, ripe apricots pitted and sliced into sixths
1 # fresh sweet cherries, stemmed, pitted, and halved
2/3 C granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ tsp. salt
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbl. Unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1 large egg yolk
1 tb. Heavy cream


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a piece of parchment generously dusted with flour, and roll out half disk of dough to a 12 inch round. With a dry pastry brush, sweep off excess flour, fit dough into 9 inch pie plate. Trim dough of the over hang. Chill pie dough for 30 minutes. In large bowl, toss together peaches, apricots, and cherries. Add the granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, and lemon juice; toss to combine. Roll out other half of disk and cut into ¾ to 1 inch wide strips. Spoon the fruit mixture and any juices into the chilled pie shell, mounding fruit slightly in the center. Dot with butter. Brush the rim of the pie shell with water. Weave a tight lattice ontop of the pie. In a small bowl whisk the egg yolk and heavy cream until combined and brush ontop of the crust. Sprinkle with sanding sugar if desired. Put pie on a half sheet pan so it wont leak. Bake until the crust turns golden about 20 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure it tasted fantastic, but I agree that cornstarch would thicken it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking delicious this Summer fruit recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becca!

    I haven't made a pie in a very, very long time. With all the fruit we have now in summer, it sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete