Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dinner Rolls


I feel the need to share this recipe with you now before thanksgiving. I was testing recipes out yesterday for thanksgiving and this one hit the spot. It reminded me of my grandparents house on holidays with all the cousins and aunts and uncles. The warmth, the way the butter perfectly melted into the soft bread. As I said earlier I got my license today which made it terrific, a few hours ago though my mum got a call from my aunt saying my uncle had finally received a liver transplant that we have all been waiting for, for months and months. The perfect thanksgiving gift and two of their three kids made it to the hospital, my dear cousin k has swine flu so she couldn't fly out to Tennessee. but these rolls really made me think about family and how thankful I am for all my family and that I get to be with most of my family for Thanksgiving. That is what thanksgiving is about. Giving thanks for all that we have and I have so much to be thankful for. I can't promise that these rolls will bring liver transplants or the passing of tests but I can promise warm tasty bread that can be pulled apart and enjoyed with people you love.

Dinner RollsMakes about 18-20 rolls.
4 1/4 cups unbleached bread flour(I used AP)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 large egg slightly beaten
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups buttermilk or whole milk
1. Mix together flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in an electric mixer. Pour the egg, butter, and 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon water and mix on low speed with a paddle attachment until all the flour is absorbed and the dough forms a ball. If the dough seems very stiff and dry, trickle in more water until the dough is soft and supple.
2. Mix on medium speed with a dough hook, adding more flour if necessary, to create a dough that is soft and supple, and tacky but not sticky. Continue mixing for 6 to 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl and transfer the dough to the bowl, rolling it to coat it with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic warp.
3.Ferment at room temperature for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the dough doubles in size.
4.Remove dough from the bowl and divide into 20 2 ounce pieces for dinner rolls.
5.Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and either space the rolls apart or bunch together like in my photo.
6. Loosely cover with plastic wrap or towel. Proof the dough at room temperature for 60-90 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush the rolls with egg wash.
8. Bake the rolls for about 15 minutes or until there golden brown.
9. When the rolls are done baking remove immediately and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Your rolls look just wonderful. I hope you have a grand Thanksgiving. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete