Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tiramisu


I have been wanting to make Tiramisu for so long, and I finally did it. This recipe comes from the Canyon Ranch cookbook which is a wonderful cookbook and the book gave me assurance that the recipe would turn out because its a famous health resort. I tweaked the recipe a bit to my liking so its not the exact recipe, but it turned out really good and creamy and with a punch from the coffee it truly was everything I dreamed it would be. I also made mine mini, using mini loaf pans but I said how to make it both ways.
TiramisuIngredients:
2 egg yolks
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons white chocolate
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ tablespoon gelatin
1/3 cup mascarpone
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
½ cup brewed coffee
20 ladyfingers for one large loaf or 24 ladyfingers for four mini loaves
Dash of cocoa powder
1. In a double boiler, combine egg yolks, sugar, wine, white chocolate and vanilla. Mix well. Heat until thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Do not let simmer. Set aside to cool.
2. Combine gelatin and 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan and let sit for 5 minutes to soften gelatin. Heat over low, stirring to dissolve. Cool and add to egg mixture.
3. In a small bowl, whip mascarpone cheese with and electric mixer and add to cooled egg mixture.
4. In a medium bowl, whip egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. Increase speed and gradually add sugar. Whip until stiff peaks form. Set aside. In another, small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Do not over mix. Fold egg mixture into egg whites. Then gently fold in whipped cream.

5. Lay half the ladyfingers on bottom of a 8 ½” x 4 ½” x 2 ½” loaf pan or place 3 lady fingers on the bottom of four mini loaf pans. Brush with coffee. Spread half of the cream mixture over ladyfingers. Layer the rest of ladyfingers on top of cream mixture, and brush with coffee. Top with the remaining cream mixture. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.
6. Place in freezer for 2 hours to set. Then cut slices or take out mini loaves. Let sit for 10 minutes to soften and enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. I’m very much a coffee lover (although I hate coffee ice cream), and tiramisu is one of my favorites! I love your version—making them miniature is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe. You've done really well by it. Your photos are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace I don't like coffee flavored ice cream either. I just love making miniature things I can't stop myself.and Thank you mary I'm trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a tiramisu a couple of weeks ago and published a post about it.... this is such an amazing and elegant dessert! And I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There has to be so many versions of this much loved dessert. This looks delish Baking Monster. Well done. I shall post my version this christmas. It is particularly pretty for festive celebrations. Watch out for it. And keep on experimenting.

    ReplyDelete